EMSL: A National Asset for High-Impact Science
DID YOU KNOW?
- 10,000 scientists have benefitted from collaboration with EMSL.
- 150 cutting-edge, closely integrated experimental and computational tools are available to EMSL users.
- 21 Fortune 500 companies have pursued their R&D goals using EMSL.
- 8 EMSL capability groups provide cross-cutting instruments and expertise for the biological, chemical, and environmental sciences.
- 350 peer-reviewed publications feature EMSL science in an average year.
Read the EMSL: Accelerating Innovation Across America brochure.
As a national scientific user facility, EMSL provides solutions to scientists from universities, industry, and government who seek out our unique capabilities and expertise for their most challenging research objectives.
EMSL enables efficiencies across federal agencies. Scientists from across the country use our specialized capabilities instead of developing their own. Without access to EMSL, these scientists would have to invest in similar—and often less powerful and less impactful—capabilities, which would be duplicative and most likely cost prohibitive.
Millions of dollars of research and multiple agencies depend upon scientists having access to EMSL capabilities and expertise. At EMSL, we collaborate with these scientists—our users—to enable discoveries and innovations that respond to the nation's energy, environmental, national security, and human health problems. Browse EMSL's news archive for science stories that impact each of these sectors of society and more.
EMSL scientists and users are working toward discoveries that reinvent the ways we produce and consume energy.
- Energy Storage
- Solar Power
New findings at EMSL support the cleanup of Department of Energy legacy waste, as well as the ongoing protection of people and ecosystems against emissions-related damage.
- Contaminant Cleanup
- Carbon Sequestration
- Atmospheric Chemistry
- Vehicle Emissions
National Security Solutions
Experimental and computational tools in EMSL allow researchers to improve the ways our nation protects people and secures assets.
- Explosives Detection
- Advanced Materials
- Forensics-Related Capabilities
Human Health Solutions
EMSL's capabilities, particularly in the field of proteomics, have become a treasure for researchers who study the intricacies of disease in support of better prevention and treatment.
- Biomarkers for Disease
- Nanoparticle Interaction with Cells
- Radiation Effects
- Drug Development and Delivery
- Ron Heeren, EMSL user
Foundation for Fundamental Research on Matter's Institute for Atomic and Molecular Physics - Amsterdam, the Netherlands