EMSL Intramural Research & Capability Development Program
The EMSL Intramural Research and Capability Development Program facilitates development of new research tools and enables EMSL staff members to advance the important skills and expertise necessary to enhance the EMSL user program. These intramural projects are intended to increase the scientific visibility of EMSL staff in areas that promote the objectives of EMSL's three science themes— Biological Interactions and Dynamics, Geochemistry/Biogeochemistry and Subsurface Science, and Science of Interfacial Phenomena.
Technical outcomes of this program include journal publications, scientific presentations, new capabilities or capability enhancements, and expertise to augment EMSL user activities and foster development of innovative research projects.
Initiated in 2007, the EMSL Intramural Research and Capability Development Program has added between three to five new projects each year. Projects stemming from the program can last from one to three years.
The featured Intramural Project summaries provide status descriptions of active or completed projects funded via the EMSL Research and Capability Development proposal process.
- Structure-property relationships in pure and doped W03 thin films [.pdf, 137kb] - Yingge Du
- Single Cell Analysis Using Microfludics Coupled to Ultrasensitive Mass Spectrometry [.pdf, 663kb] - Ryan Kelly
- Systematic characterization of protein glycosylation of bacteria cell surface proteins [.pdf, 126kb] - Si Wu
- Modeling-Assisted Growth of New Multiferroics in the MTiO3 Family as Expitaxial Thin Film [.pdf, 153kb] - Tamas Varga
- Cryogenic NMR and Advanced Electronic Structure Theory as a Unique EMSL Capability for Complex Systems: Application to the Photosynthetic Energy Conversion Systems [.pdf, 66kb] - Ping Yang
- Molecular-scale Visualization of Ligand Conformation on Functionalized Nanoparticles: A Combination of Experimental and Theoretical Studies [.pdf, 61kb] - S. Thevuthasan
- The Affinity and Structure of Biomolecules Immobilized on a 3-D Substrate: Time-resolved EPR Detection During Mobile Phase Gradients [.pdf, 77kb] - Eric Walter
- An Integrated Workflow for Identification and Quantitation of Intact Phosphoproteins - Ljiljana Paša-Tolić
- Developing in-spectrometer photochemistry and integration of molecular imaging techniques: Probing photo-induced electronic structure variations in dye-sensitized TiO2 model system [.pdf, 114kb] - Ponnusamy Nachimuthu
- Development of Live and LC-NMR Microbial Metabolomics Methods for Systems Biology Studies: A Test Case Relevant to Biofuels Production [.pdf, 120kb] - Nancy Isern
- Development of Novel Approaches for Analysis of Secondary Organic Aerosols Using High Resolution Mass Spectrometry [.pdf, 37kb] - Alexander Laskin
- Facility-Wide Management and Storage for Scientific Data [.pdf, 75kb] - Ken Auberry
- Accurate Embedded-Cluster Modeling of Insulators: Applications to Metal Oxide Surface Chemistry and Surface Excitation Processes [.pdf, 90kb] - Niri Govind
- Combining In Situ Buffer-Layer-Assisted-Growth with Scanning Probe Microscopy for Formation and Study of Supported Model Catalysts [.pdf, 80kb] - Igor Lyubinetsky
- In Situ Electron Microscopy and Spectroscopy Studies of Interfaces in Advanced Li-ion Batteries Under Dynamic Operation Conditions [.pdf, 151kb] - Chongmin Wang
- 3-Dimensional Reconstruction and Modeling of Bacterial Extracellular Polymeric Substances (EPS) [.pdf, 126kb] - Alice Dohnalkova
- Developing calculation methods to precisely measure proteome proteins and their post-translational modifications [.pdf, 70kb] - Nikola Tolić
- High Temperature, Large Sample Volume, Continuous flow Magic Angle Spinning NMR Probe for a 11.7 T Magnetic Field for In Situ Catalytic Reaction Characterization [.pdf, 101kb] - Joseph Ford
- Nonlinear Radiation Response and Transport Properties in Scintillating Materials [.pdf, 113kb] - Yanwen Zhang